Plaza Vigil opened in 1996 to give low-income, Spanish-speaking entrepreneurs a place to start their retail business and become successful before venturing out into the community. Plaza Vigil has 14 spaces available to business entrepreneurs. Individuals who wish to start a retail business go through the application and training process for starting their business in Plaza Vigil. Once approved, the new business owner begins operating in Plaza Vigil at a reduced rent rate, with free access to all El Pájaro CDC’s business services. The Plaza Vigil Incubator Program has been a boon to the downtown retail business in Watsonville. Located on the corner of East Beach, Plaza Vigil is the perfect place for a retail business to obtain a successful start in the community.
- 15,000 square foot Commercial Business Space Created
- Economic Opportunities to low-income, Spanish-speaking community
- Job Creation and Retention
- Construction Jobs Created
- Incubator Businesses Started and Supported
- Community Ownership/ Community Gathering Place
- Unique Architectural Character Preserved